This classic favourite is easy to make ahead and can be prepared in a low fat manner. Many think of this as Tex-Mex, but it is also served in Chihuahua, Mexico, as an appetizer with tortillas and even as a vegetable side dish with broiled meats. Bake corn tortilla wedges (use a variety of colours) in an 180C oven for 10 minutes for a fat-free crunch! Think of other ways to serve too!
- 1tsp any EVO, chilli & garlic infused
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 cloves purple local garlic, minced
- 1-4 red/green chillies, minced
- 1Tbsp minced fresh oregano
- Chelsea’s Chilli Salt & pepper to taste
- 250g light cream cheese or a mix of cheeses: to add flavour dimensions
- Kalamata olives as desired
- 1 bag corn tortilla chips or fresh corn tortillas, baked
The Wilder Method
- In a medium saucepan or large wok for a crowd, heat oil and sauté onion then garlic until tender.
- Stir in salsa, chillies, oregano.
- Simmer for 5 minutes; stir often.
- Reduce heat. Add cream cheese and continue to heat through.
- Garnish with olives. Serve on baked tortilla chips or crudités – cut fresh organic vegetables.
Try mixing in with scrambled eggs, atop a baked potato, over grilled chicken, as a spread, dip or Mexican pizza sauce variation.
This simple easy recipe is in my Wild Mexican Mains book